Office Fire Plan
Have you ever thought what would happen if a fire were to happen? What stairwell will you use? What emergency exit will you go to? Do you know where to meet the others so you know everyone is out? Having a fire escape plan before the fire can help keep everything organized when the fire does occur. You should also practice a fire escape plan at least twice a year so every employee knows exactly what to do. Here are a few steps to do when trying to figure out your plan.
- Visualize multiple situations that might occur: Ask yourself. Where might the fire occur? How and where would they start? What if this happens? Make sure you are always prepared for every situation that may occur.
- Establish roles and responsibilities: When a fire emerges and your business must evacuate, employees will look to their leaders for reassurance and guidance. Create a clear chain of command with backups that states who has the authority to order an evacuation. Knowing who to go to helps ensure no one is stuck inside
- Plan and map routes: Once your people are out of the building, where do they go?Designate an assembly area for employees to gather. Someone should be at the assembly area collecting a head count and providing updates.
- Know your tools and inspect them: always test fire alarms, emergency lighting, fire doors, and escape ladders. Also make sure every employee knows where the fire extinguisher is.
- Rehearse fire evacuation: Having your employees know what to do during a fire helps the process go smoothly so there's not so much chaos when the fire does occur.
Here at SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle we are ready to help with any damage that may occur due to a fire. Give us a call at 757-479-4447!