Some Fire Extinguisher Tips To Help You Out
Fire Extinguisher Tips
Fire Extinguishers can be life and property saving tools when used correctly. In order to operate an extinguisher, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) suggests remembering the word PASS:
Pull the pin. Hold the nozzle pointing away from you and release the locking mechanism.
Aim low. Point the extinguisher at the base of the fire.
Squeeze the lever slowly and evenly.
Sweep the nozzle from side-to-side.
Read the instructions on the fire extinguisher and become familiar with them before a fire breaks out. Remember, extinguishers do have limitations and it's also important to ensure you have the correct type of extinguisher for your facility. To find more information on choosing the appropriate class of extinguisher, please visit the NFPA website at https://www.nfpa.org/
Have Water Damage From A Storm? We can Help!!
SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle is an Emergency Water Damage Restoration Company ready to help 24/7/365, we are here when you need us. We Service all of the Hampton Roads area’s including Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Newport News.
SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle is available for water emergencies, large or small. When you have water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time.
When you call us, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration.
We Are Ready to Help Call Today – 757-479-4447
Different Types of Sprinkler Systems For Your Business
As a business owner its always good to know different types of sprinkler systems to make sure the fire gets out out quick!
1. Dry Pipe Systems
These types of fire suppression systems are common in colder climates, where it's necessary to have a system that keeps the pipes from freezing over in the winter. These systems are filled with air, as opposed to water, and only activate when the sprinkler head turns on. The response time is a bit longer, due to the fact that the water doesn't actively sit in the pipe.
2. Wet Pipe Systems
Unlike dry pipe systems, wet pipe sprinklers do contain pipes that are filled with water. These systems help reduce fire sprinkler cleanup, since each sprinkler head works independently, and only discharges a spray of water when high enough heat levels are detected.
3. Deluge Systems
These systems are similar to wet pipe sprinklers, except each sprinkler head works in unison; once one sprinkler head is activated, the rest of them are as well. These systems are common in industries that tend to work with flammable liquids or other fire hazards.
4. Foam Systems
Much like the name implies, these systems discharge sprays of water and foam in unison. They are highly effective when it comes to fire suppression, and are often used in spaces that deal with hazardous components, such as aircraft hangars.
5. Pre-Action Systems
This type of fire sprinkler combines the benefits that both wet and dry systems have to offer. These sprinklers are beneficial when used in libraries, data centers, museums and other buildings that contain items that are susceptible to fire and water damage.
Knowing how your specific fire sprinkler system works is only half the battle; you also need to make sure you're having the sprinklers tested and inspected on a regular basis. Contact fire remediation experts for more information.
Give us a call at 757-479-4447 for any questions we are open 24/7, and 365 days a year
Water Damage Should Be Cleaned By Professionals
When water damage threatens your home, you need to act fast. Pools of water can hide in your home in hidden areas. Some common places for water damage to occur include:
If you find water damage here are a few steps you can follow:
- If you can, locate the problem area
- Take any necessary steps to prevent any further damage. You may need to soak up standing water on the floor with towels, unplug leaky appliances, or shut off your homes water supply
- Call SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle at 757-479-4447. We are available 24/7, and 365 days a year to help you with all your emergency needs. Dont hesitate to call
There is always the right way of calling SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle, we are the professionals that can help 24/7. We make it seem "Like it never even happened."
Let Us Help Clean Up
Working on reconstruction, or remodeling your business? Well here at SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle we can help you finish the project! You want your business to look its best when it's go time, and we are here to help. SERVPRO of Kempsville provides cleaning services to give your business that extra touch. We help with carpet, resilient non-resilient floor prep and finish, ceiling, walls, and cleaning, deodorization, air duct cleaning, debris removal, and window cleaning. We help you prepare for interior designing. There is so much to worry about when opening a business. Have us help you! Give SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle a call at 757-479-4447 if you have any questions about our services. We will have your business look beautiful and ready for opening! We also work 24/7, and 365 days a year. Give us a call for any questions you may have
Clean Those Dryers!!
Many common ways a fire is started is because people forget to change out the lint traps before putting a new load to dry. Every year, firefighters across the country respond to around 13,820 home fires caused by clothes dryers, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Dryer fires are responsible for seven deaths, 344 civilian injuries, and $233 million in property damage annually. Here are 4 tips to prevent a house fire due to lint.
- Clean out lint traps: Clean it out every single load, this helps prevent fire and helps your laundry dry faster.
- Replace accordion style ducts: Generally, dryers are equipped with a 4-inch vent in the back, which homeowners or installers connect to the exterior vent with a duct. But not all ducts will do. If you see a plastic or foil accordion-style duct connecting your appliance to the vent, it’s a good idea to replace it. These are risky because they can sag, allowing lint to build up at low points and trapping lint in their ridges
- Clean the dryer duct annually: If you notice that your dryer takes longer to dry laundry than it used to, that’s a clue that there may be a blockage in the dryer vent system
- Handle chemical stains with care: Clothes stained with gas, cooking oil, cleaning agents, or other flammable chemicals or substances need special care. The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends washing such stained clothing more than once to minimize volatile chemicals, then hanging to dry
Here at SERVPRO Kempsville/Military Circle we can help get things back to normal with any fire that happens. Give us a call at 757-479-4447 and we will be glad to help.
Office Fire Plan
Fires happen fast, know your escape plan.
Have you ever thought what would happen if a fire were to happen? What stairwell will you use? What emergency exit will you go to? Do you know where to meet the others so you know everyone is out? Having a fire escape plan before the fire can help keep everything organized when the fire does occur. You should also practice a fire escape plan at least twice a year so every employee knows exactly what to do. Here are a few steps to do when trying to figure out your plan.
- Visualize multiple situations that might occur: Ask yourself. Where might the fire occur? How and where would they start? What if this happens? Make sure you are always prepared for every situation that may occur.
- Establish roles and responsibilities: When a fire emerges and your business must evacuate, employees will look to their leaders for reassurance and guidance. Create a clear chain of command with backups that states who has the authority to order an evacuation. Knowing who to go to helps ensure no one is stuck inside
- Plan and map routes: Once your people are out of the building, where do they go?Designate an assembly area for employees to gather. Someone should be at the assembly area collecting a head count and providing updates.
- Know your tools and inspect them: always test fire alarms, emergency lighting, fire doors, and escape ladders. Also make sure every employee knows where the fire extinguisher is.
- Rehearse fire evacuation: Having your employees know what to do during a fire helps the process go smoothly so there's not so much chaos when the fire does occur.
Here at SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle we are ready to help with any damage that may occur due to a fire. Give us a call at 757-479-4447!
When Your Business Needs Flood Insurance
Flood insurance is different than water damage insurance.
Whether you are a tenant or a building owner, a flood can devastate your business. You can reduce your risk of losing your business due to flooding with a flood insurance policy. Commercial flood insurance can help protect your business floor, walls, ceilings, equipment, fixtures, furniture, and inventory. Floods are one of the most common and expensive natural disasters and can affect every region and state. Floods can happen anywhere. Over 20 percent of flood claims come from properties outside high-risk flood zones. Flood insurance may benefit your business regardless of whether there is a declaration of disaster. Storms are not the sole cause of flooding. Floods can be triggered by a broken dam or levee, a new building development that changes the flow of water in your area.
Flooding can happen at any time and anywhere. Commercial flood insurance coverage can help protect your business and mitigate financial loss in the event of a flood. If you experience any type of flood damage SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle is always ready to help. You can give us a call at 757-479-4447!
With any leak it's the water you don't see that causes the most damage
Water damage does not get better with time, it gets worse with time.
Any water damage in your facility is bad.
There is no such thing as a small disaster. Especially when the water you don't see contains bacteria. Water damage can affect the value of your property. Before you get out the mop bucket and box fan to try and clean it up yourself, consider how this will affect your property.
SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle understands how disruptive unseen water damage can be for your business. For this reason, SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle offers 24-hour emergency response.
Before you risk further damaging the value of your home or business by attempting to clean up the mess, call SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle!
Trained and equipped to quickly dry and protect your facility and contents..
A mop and common cleaning products may not be enough for serious water instructions. SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle is trained to safely clean and restore your property, utilizing the following procedures:
- Identify the source/type of water.
- Measure temperate and humidity for drying analysis.
- Survey the extent of damage and inspect the premises.
- Perform emergency water extraction.
- Apply necessary treatments.
- Utilize drying equipment and monitor drying.
Give SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle a call at 757-249-4447. We are available 24/7, and 365 days a year!
What Steps Should I Take After A Sewage Notice?
Sewage back up is important to take care of as soon as possible. Stay off the area, Treat it as if it is contaminated. Don't let it get to the vents.
Sewage backups and black water intrusions are more than nasty, smelly deposits. These damages also introduce harmful microorganisms into a structure. SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle removes the sewage, contaminants, and moisture, disinfecting as we clean. SERVPRO of Kempsville/Military Circle helps ensure the structure is properly cleaned, disinfected, and deodorized.
But what steps do you take once the backup starts?
If you have a sewer backup, you need to act quickly. For slow drains, do not use liquid drain cleaners. These products may not clear the drain, especially if a physical blockage comes from a damaged drain line or tree roots. Additionally, the chemical drain treatment could cause further damage to the pipes.
For severe backups that send waste into your home, you need to shut off any water going into the drains. Also, turn off electricity if the wastewater gets near electrical outlets. Turning off the electricity to your home is always the safest choice, but if you know the correct breaker or fuse to turn off, you can shut off power to the flooded parts of your house only.
You cannot use the sinks, tubs, toilets, showers or water appliances in your home. Each time you use these, the excess water must flow away from your home through the drainage system. If you have not gotten your plumbing fixed, the water will back up into your home.
Our technicians are trained to safely and effectively clean up biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local health regulations.